If you happen to live in Australia, you already know that winters in the country are not that cold. Yet, Australians still have some bad weather and chilly temperatures to deal with. If you are a homeowner, there are essential things that you need to carry out to ensure that your roof is in good order.
- Clean out the Guttering – The guttering serves as an escape route for rainwater, and it is a common occurrence for wet leaves and small twigs to cause a blockage. It should be cleaned out every 6 months, and one of those cleans should be just prior to the arrival of winter, and that will ensure that excess rainwater has an escape route.
- Regular Roof Inspections – Unless you are very lucky, you won’t be able to see all of your roof from a ground elevation, and you are advised to call in one of your local roofing contractors, who can conduct a thorough roof inspection, and the best time to do this is right before winter sets in.
- Power Wash & Sealant – This will prolong the life of your roof by many years. First, the roof is given a wash using a powerful water jet gun, then a silicone-based sealant can be sprayed onto the roof which will help prevent any roof damage. Most roofing companies offer this service, and the investment will prove to be a wise one as your roof will give you many more years of protection.
- Checking Fascia & Soffit Boards – The fascia and soffit protect the lower roof line and the underside of the roof. If they are made from timber, and are in need of a repaint, the best time to do this is before the cold weather arrives. The other solution is to replace the timber soffit & fascia with PVC, which never needs maintaining, and with a choice of attractive colours, you can boost the curb appeal of your home.
- Damp Patches on Ceilings – It is always a good idea to spend a few minutes inspecting your upstairs ceilings, specifically looking for any damp patches, as this is a sure sign of a leaking roof. Prompt investigation is advised should you discover any dampness on the ceiling, as this will identify the problem, which can then be rectified.
- Flashing & Chimney – If your roof has a chimney, the chances are that it is above the roof line, and therefore exposed to the harsh climate, so it needs to be looked at every now and then. The flashing could be either copper or lead and this is very important, as it provides a seal between different surfaces.
It is always best to have roofing repairs carried out prior to the arrival of winter. Should you ever require a reliable local roofing company, you can easily locate a roofing specialist near you by searching online. Maintaining your roof will minimise the risk of a major roof repair at some time in the future, and as your home is a major investment, it makes sense to take good care of it.