Vacuum pumps often lose their efficiency after many uses. This is mainly due to poor care and neglect. It is essential to provide proper maintenance to your vacuum pump. If done properly, this maintenance can be very easy and does not require too much work or energy. Girovac is one company that specializes in vacuums and has an easy to use the website. In addition to selling new vacuums, they also offer repairs and servicing for vacuum pumps.
Here are some tips for maintaining your vacuum pumps and increasing their lifespan:
Keep a check on the oil
- This is an essential part of any vacuum pump, and it should be treated as such. The first thing you need to make sure of is to use the right type of oil recommended for your pump. Do not go for a cheaper or otherwise popular type of oil. Stick to the one recommended by a contractor or professional.
- Make sure always to fill the oil to the right level. This level will be indicated on your pump. Do not overfill, and do not fill till below the mark. Make sure you consult the manual that came with your pump if you are unsure of this level.
- With all machines that use oil, the oil in your pump also needs to be checked and changed after some time. It is very important to change the oil when it is required. If the oil needs replacing, you will be able to tell by its cloudy nature or the black flecks in it.
- Before changing the oil, warm the oil by running the pump for a few seconds, so that it becomes easier to drain out.
Keep everything clean and lubricated
- An essential part of maintaining a vacuum pump is constant care of the visible aspects, like cleanliness and wearing of parts. You must always keep the pump clean. After every use, wipe off any dirt or oil that may have settled on the pump. Change the oil regularly and completely, making sure that none of the old oil is left in the oil unit. Every time you perform an oil change, clean out or change the filters too.
- You must also lubricate the bearings from time to time. This should be done at least once every year. During this, you must also carefully inspect all the screws, the vanes, and the motor for any damage or wear and tear.
Call for help
- You feel that there is something wrong with your vacuum pump, or it is due for a servicing, you should get it checked. An expert opinion can help increase the lifespan of your pump. If you feel your vacuum pump’s performance is not as good as it used to be, or you hear abnormal sounds coming out of your pump, you should call for help, and let an expert fix the pump.