Ants can be a real problem, due to their numbers and destructive nature. While some species destroy household items, others bite humans causing irritation. This explains why a lot of homeowners look for easy and long-lasting remedy to the problems that ants cause. You might have consider using chemicals, but this could be harmful to your health and even surfaces in the home. There are some homemade remedies for ant infestation, that will work wonders. Find out more about home remedies for ants below.
Home Remedies For Ant Infestation
- Lemon: You might have noticed that ants are attracted to sugar, and other sweet food items in the home. The trick is to put something sour in their way, as this keeps them back. For this purpose, lemon is one of the most effective options. Identify their point of entry into the home, and put lemon peels there. You can also squeeze some lemon juice on the ground, either ways, it will send them back. If you do not have lemons in the house, you can make use of oranges. For oranges, add a few peels into a cup of warm water. This will keep them out of your house.
- Pepper: Another food item that ants are not so fond of, is pepper. You can use pepper as a tool to get rid of ants in your home. To keep ants out, the best options of pepper to use are, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Simply sprinkle pepper at the entry points that the ants use. You can also add pepper to a bottle of water, as a makeshift pepper spray for the entry points in the home.
- Salt: Salt also works effectively in helping you to get rid of ants in the home. Regular table salt and water is all that you need. Boil a little amount of water, and add a large amount of table salt to it. Proceed to stir till the salt dissolves, after which you pour the solution into a spray bottle. You can then spray all entry points of ants, with the solution.
- Chalk: Chalk is another efficient home remedy for getting rid of ants. It is also one of the easiest means to employ. Chalk keeps ants out due to its calcium carbonate content. Simply break a few pieces of chalk into powdered form, and line the entry points with this powder.
- White Vinegar: White vinegar is helpful in getting rid of ants, because of their strong dislike for the smell. Make a solution with white vinegar, water and a few drops of essential oil. Spray the entry points of ants with this solution, and you can be sure to keep them out of your home.
Other effective home remedies include, cinnamon and peppermint. If you try any of these methods with no improvement on the ant infestation problem, it is best to contact a pest control company around you.