Most people assume that just because their water looks clean and doesn’t have any particular smell or taste that everything is alright. Although that could be the case, sometimes the situation might be the total opposite of what you thought.
What does that mean? It means that it could actually be contaminated. Now, it’s worth mentioning that each of us can make changes when it comes to local water supplies. We can do various things in terms of water quality, as well as the amount of water we utilize for various purposes.
Having clean water is crucial and when people, especially youngsters get access to fresh, high-quality water then they can lead better healthier lives. Therefore, you as an individual have to ensure that your household has a clean water supply. How will you do that? Let’s find out!
This Is What You Can Do
Suspicious water – We all know how the water that is free of any contaminants is supposed to look like. If you notice anything strange regarding its appearance (for instance, it may look cloudy) then you should do something about it.
The best idea is to call your city’s water department or a professional who is going to thoroughly assess the situation and perform a water inspection. Furthermore, there are some other cases that require immediate intervention, and here are some:
- If your utility bills are drastically higher
- If water appliances start deteriorating
- Its appearance, taste or odor seem strange to you
- If water fixtures are slower than usual
Purchasing a good water filter – Having a top-notch water filter is of great importance. You cannot buy just any because not all of them are equally good. If you are not familiar with various kinds of it, you can read more here where you’ll be able to get all the necessary information. It’s important to choose the right one!
Other forms of filtration – Now, before you buy a solid water filter, it’s advisable to learn about some other methods regarding water purification. Some of them are good at getting rid of particles, some less but all of them are certainly very beneficial:
- Distillation – This is one of the most popular purification solutions. What does it do? This method vaporizes water by heating it to high temperatures. Then all microorganisms, minerals, and chemicals that have high boiling points are gone.
- Mechanical – Although they cannot destroy chemical contaminants, this alternative is great for those who want to clean their water from cysts and sediments
- Deionization – These filters are focusing on ion exchange in your water with a goal to get rid of salts and other electrically charged ions, however, they will not kill bacteria and viruses.
More To Come…
- Test your water each year – If you want to make sure your water is safe for drinking, then you must test it for coliform and nitrate.
Coliform tests are utilized to showcase if there’s any contamination caused by viruses or bacteria.
On the other hand, if the test shows that your water contains a huge amount of nitrate, it means that it could potentially harm nursing mothers, pregnant women, and young children. Moreover, it means that your water is filled with either chemical contaminants or pesticides.
- Don’t flush unwanted medicines – If by any chance you discover that you have a lot of expired medications or some that are no longer needed, do not flush them down the drain or toilet. Instead, you should either throw them in the trash or find out if someone you know might need them.
Now, before you throw them in the garbage, make sure to get rid of all labels and wrap these items. Then put some vinegar in the bottle just to make sure that your kids will not touch these medicines.
- Stay informed – Having important information regarding any topic is always recommendable, hence, you should always be informed if there’s any problem in your neighborhood concerning the city’s water ecosystem.
More importantly, you should also request your annual drinking water quality report from your water provider. It’s good to have your own copy just to get an insight into the overall situation. If you do it, you will have a clearer picture when it comes to the quality of your water!
It’s of great relevance to be diligent about this because clean water equals a healthy and safe family and household. Besides these six suggestions, there are a plethora of other ways you can keep your water fresh and clean. Talk to your neighbors and see if they can help in any way too! Spreading the word and raising awareness is crucial!